Hello friends🙋.I will talk about my favourite pitha dish,it’s Dudh puli (steamed dumplings soaked in milk).In bengali it is not only eaten during ‘Poush Parbon’ but also throughout the winter.Dudh puli pitha is steamed dumplings stuffed with coconut & jaggery,finally soaked in milk.Dudh puli taste out of the world.Let celebrate ‘Makar Sankranti’ week with this Bengali dessert dudh puli pitha(steamed dumplings soaked in milk).
Dudh puli pitha,one of the famous pithas of Bengal(Bangladesh & India’s West Bengal).’Dudh’ means ‘Milk’ in bengali and ‘Puli’ is another name of pitha.Dudh puli can be describe as rice flour dumplings with coconut & jaggery filling cooked in cardamom infused milk.
Traditionally each year,the end of the harvest season and the season of winter are filled with festivities and making different type of rice cakes with new rice that adds a special flavour to the rice flavour to the rice cakes.This is a tradition in all parts of rural Bangladesh and also eastern part of India that’s called ‘Poush Parbon’ on ‘Makar Sankranti’.& dudh puli is a traditional recipe of the festival.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Cuisine: Bengal(Bangladesh & Indian West Bengal)
Serve: 2/3 person 6-8 pithas
1. 1 cup coconut(grated)
2. 2 & 1/2 cup jaggery
3. 3 cardamom(crushed)
4. 3 cup milk
5. 2 cup Rice flour
6. 1/2 cup maida/all purpose flour
7. 2 cup lukewarm water
8. 1/2 tsp salt
• For filling,mix coconut & jaggery in a pan and stirring continuously make a mixture.The mixture will be semi sticky but not runny.& set aside.
• Make dumplings/pithas,boil water in a pan add salt.
• then add rice flour & maida/all purpose flour to boiling water and keep stirring with a wooden spoon a firm but soft and not sticky dough,adjust flour accordingly.
• then take the dough in a plate & start to mix together,to form a nice and smooth dough.
• then divide the dough to 7-8 balls.
• take one ball and roll it into a circle as thin as possible.
• then put a spoon of coconut & jaggery filling in the middle.
• seal tightly to form a semi circle shape.
• Boil 3 cup milk in a another pan & add crushed cardamom in it.
• add jaggery 1 & 1/2 cup in the boiling milk.(alternatively use sugar,if you don’t prefer jaggery)
• add the dumplings and cook about 25-30 mins in medium low heat or until dumplings are cooked(when dumplings skin slippery)
• set aside for cool and you are done, serve & enjoy!
Hope you will like this recipe & must try this recipe and don’t forget to share your feedback (comment) with me.I would love to listen from you all. ❤❤❤❤..